Our Experts Opinions
*Rating Based on our Experience
Hostmonster is one of the 20 largest websites that has been providing hosting solutions to thousands of companies since 1996, which also makes it one of the oldest in the business. The company prides itself on providing high-powered packages to individuals at a low price. The company offers an extensive feature list and has upgraded support and reliability that rivals its closest competitors.
Hostmonster hosting plans are comparable to other companies that are offering services in the budget-priced category. But is there anything else that distinguishes it from other companies that are offering the same? In fact, Hostmonster is part of the large hosting conglomerate, the Endurance International Group which also owns many other big brands (over 83) such as Hostgator, iPage, Justhost and Bluehost, to name a few. Together, they make up for a large hosting pool, that services over 2 million websites worldwide.
Like most of its competitors, Hostmonster does not specify a 99.9% uptime guarantee, but admit that like other companies, they face downtime, now and then, but strive to provide the best in the industry in terms of server and network uptime. They also state that any issues that crop up are resolved within 15 minutes and in some extreme cases, they may require additional time to resolve the issue.
Like some of its sister companies, the company maintains a page where the customers check server outages and can get all general system alerts. In this review about Hostmonster hosting, we will look at some key features of the host such as pricing plans, customer support, uptime, security features and other factors.
As a large company, Hostmonster understands the importance of customer satisfaction. Keeping that in mind, the company promises a 24/7 technical team for all their customers. The support team is made up of professionals who are equipped to answer any queries with efficiency and satisfactorily. For everything else, they have a great help center and a knowledge base that covers a lot of topics.
Live Chat/Email/Ticketing System
Hostmonster displays a “Live Chat” button on its homepage that can be accessed anywhere from within the website. All you have to do is log in (filling in your details such as login name, password and domain name and if you have set it, the last 6 digits of your credit card which you used for purchasing the account), and a helpful support executive pops up within minutes to take down your queries.
Many customers have been impressed by the quick and efficient way the queries are handled at Hostmonster and have praised the immediate response they got from the representatives.
Customers can also submit a support ticket regarding queries about affiliates, billing, sales and tech support here.
The company boasts of an extensive knowledge base that has an active search system and you can find the solutions to your problems within minutes. It also features a video tutorial page, where the customers can find many how-to tutorials, covering a wide range of topics such as redirecting webpages, cron job basics and email application setup.
As we said before, Hostmonster does not guarantee a 99.9% uptime unlike many of its competitors. This is consistent with other companies that also do not provide any such guarantees. So there is no question of any compensation if your website experiences any extended downtime. Other large companies, such as Hostgator provide an uptime guarantee, which means you will be compensated with a certain period of hosting credit if your website goes down or experiences notable downtime.
That being the reason, there have not been many positive reviews about this host’s uptime, so you may have to take that into consideration while choosing a host.
The company promises a complete solution to its customers who desire full functionality over a small budget.
The company provides an excellent control panel, that can be accessed directly from the home page and employs cPanel, which has now become the industry standard. The user can complete a wide range of administrative tasks using this panel. If you have had a host before, it is likely that you have used cPanel, and it makes switching to Hostmonster a breeze.
Weebly Site Builder
Create high-quality blogs, websites or online stores using this versatile tool. It is being used by over 40 million people worldwide. This popular platform makes it very easy for users to create websites using its drag-and-drop interface, without them needing any prior coding knowledge. To access this wonderful tool, all you have to do is log into your cPanel and go to the “Site Builders” section.
Free Website Scripts
As a Hostmonster user, you will have access to a free script library, and it includes Moodle, Tikiwiki, Drupal, Joomla, project management scripts and many more, which can be installed easily. The user does not require any programming knowledge to implement these scripts.
Hostmonster maintains that customer satisfaction is a top priority and you would be pleased with their services. However, if you feel that your needs are not sufficiently met, you can cancel the service within 30 days for a refund.
The company’s homepage heavily promotes its Hostmonster web hosting plan, but they also offer dedicated servers and VPS. Most of these categories have 3 or more hosting plans and every package has a different price and feature set.
Hostmonster offers 3 great plans for web hosting:
- Basic: For a price of $4.95 (down from $9.49) a month, you get 1 website, server space of 50GB, unmetered bandwidth, free SSL certificate, 1 domain, 5 parked domains, 25 subdomains, 5 email accounts, 100MB email storage per account and marketing offers (if available).
- Select: For a price of $6.95 (down from $12.49) a month, you get 10 websites, server space of 150GB, unmetered bandwidth, free SSL certificate, 1 domain, 20 parked domains, 50 subdomains, 100 email accounts, 500MB email storage per account, marketing offers worth $150, over $24 per year in offers and spam prevention.
- Choice Plus: For a price of $6.95 (down from $14.49) a month, you get unlimited websites, unmetered server space, unmetered bandwidth, free SSL certificate, 1 domain, unlimited parked domains and unlimited subdomains, unlimited email accounts, unlimited email storage per account, marketing offers worth $200, over $80 per year in offers, spam prevention, privacy protection for 1 domain and backup protection.
- Pro: For a price of $14.95, (down from $25.49), you get all the features of their Choice Plus, a dedicated IP, domain privacy, site backup, a high-performance server and much more.
With all plans, you get SSH access, cPanel account control panel, hotlink protection, override .htaccess support, web file manager, FTP access, hotlink protection, log files, site statistics, customizable error pages, SpamAssassin protection and email autoresponder.
These dedicated servers have been designed with cloud technology, for affordable hosting and instant provisioning. It offers 3 plans.
- Standard: For a price of $79.99 (down from $109.99) per month, you get Intel Xeon processor with 4 cores and 8 threads, 3MB cache, 4GB RAM, 500GB (RAID 1), a bandwidth of 5TB per month, a free domain name, 3 IPs and CentOs 6.5 (64 bit).
- Enhanced: For a price of $99.99 (down from $159.99) per month, you get Intel Xeon processor with 4 cores and 8 threads, 8MB cache, 8GB RAM, 1000GB (RAID 1), a bandwidth of 10TB per month, a free domain name, 4 IPs and CentOs 6.5 (64 bit).
- Premium: For a price of $119.99 (down from $209.99) per month, you get Intel Xeon processor with 4 cores and 8 threads, 8MB cache, 16GB RAM, 1000GB (RAID 1), a bandwidth of 15TB per month, a free domain name, 5 IPs and CentOs 6.5 (64 bit).
With these servers, you get storage upgrade (easily upgrade to high-performance SAN storage), mirror storage (for automatic data protection), write-back caching for high performance (with its own RAM), and ready-to-use accounts.
You also get an advanced cPanel, exclusive access to a dedicated support line to get all your questions answered quickly and a money-back guarantee for a no-nonsense refund.
For a guaranteed growth path, Hostmonster’s VPS plans are built on powerful cloud technology that also offers you more features and options in the future. They have 4 plans.
- Standard: For a price of $19.99 (down from $29.99) a month, you get a dual-core processor, 2GB RAM, 30GB of storage space, a bandwidth of 1TB a month, a free domain name, 1 IP and CentOs 6.5 (64-bit).
- Enhanced: For a price of $29.99 (down from $59.99) a month, you get a dual-core processor, 4GB RAM, 60GB of storage space, a bandwidth of 2TB a month, a free domain name, 2 IPs and CentOs 6.5 (64-bit).
- Premium: For a price of $44.99 (down from $89.99) a month, you get a triple core processor, 6GB RAM, 90GB of storage space, a bandwidth of 2TB a month, a free domain name, 2 IPs and CentOs 6.5 (64-bit).
- Ultimate: For a price of $59.99 (down from $119.99) a month, you get a quad-core processor, 8GB RAM, 120GB of storage space, a bandwidth of 3TB a month, a free domain name, 2 IPs and CentOs 6.5 (64-bit).
What’s more, is that you get full root access to CentOS for complete control, where the control panel aids in giving you full access to the server. You can also manage multiple accounts with one login. You only need to sign in once to access multiple cPanel hosting services with your account information.
Any resources that you purchase are always guaranteed to be visible thanks to their KVM hypervisor technology.
A very important concern site owners have these days is how secure is their new hosting provider, let's look at that now.
This feature comes in handy when your website uses a lot of images and you need to protect them from being hotlinked to another website. By doing so, the culprit would be using up the bandwidth of your Hostmonster account and without your knowledge. To stop such leeching and bandwidth theft, hotlink protection is used.
You can read more about this security option here.
This is a Secure Shell protocol and command interface (UNIX based) for getting access to a remote computer securely. It provides many options for strong encryption and protects the security and integrity of the connection. To read more about how to enable SSH from your cPanel for your Hostmonster account, click here.
An industry standard for spam filtering, SpamAssassin uses a lot of techniques for spam detection and is available as a free service on most accounts. You only need to enable it once and it will scan the contents of each message before it reaches your mailbox.
You can read more about SpamAssassin here.
Information such as payment details, contact data or passwords could be intercepted by hackers or those with malicious intent, if it weren’t for SSL certificates. With Hostmonster, you can purchase a Comodo trusted private SSL certificate, generated a self-signed certificate or purchase a trusted private SSL through a third party.
Pros and Cons
- It doesn’t matter if you are using Hostmonster’s dedicated or VPS hosting, you can be assured of instant provisioning of their servers.
- A slew of security options such as SSL certificates, SSH access, SpamAssassin and hotlink protection keep malicious activity at bay.
- Solid support all around.
- You get a free domain for the first year.
- Discount on all their products for the first year.
- Money back guarantee if you don’t like their services or are satisfied, absolutely no-nonsense.
- cPanel backend makes setting up your website as simple as it can be.
- Customers have complained about the generally slow or average page load times.
- Hostmonster’s pricing can be considered a little expensive when compared with some competitors.
If you do a random search, most of the Hostmonster reviews have termed it as “mediocre”, compared with its sister company, Bluehost. If you take an objective look at Hostmonster, they come under the “center of the road category”, meaning they don’t have anything special to offer. Still, they have decent customer service, get you online pretty quickly, have the basic plans in place and these can be some points to consider before making your decision.